Searching the Haight for Signs of Life

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jamie Lidell

Jamie Lidell was not at all what I expected. But then again, I really didn't know much of what to expect, since I didn't even really read the snippet of text on the guy that Cass sent me before I agreed to go on Thursday.

He was supposed to be a soul singer, which he is, but he's also this incredible beat-boxing DJ, and from my bopping vantage point at the front of the stage at Bimbo's, it was a hell of a show. If you only heard him sing, you'd think he was some 70s black dude with a fro, but he's actually a scrawny white kid.

The only points of the show I didn't enjoy were when Jamie Lidell turned up the bass so high that the wax in my ears started vaporizing and my sternum began to shake its way out of my skin. Other than those moments, I was jumping and dancing and wowed by his incredible voice, vocal tricks, and mastery of the beat.

Check out Jamie Lidell's release Multiply.

p.s. The venue was really cool too, Cass, really :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home